Some of the fabulous trophies made by Scott Riese for the Northwest Fireballs'
Jim Walker Memorial Spring Tune-Up in Portland. The McCoy redhead engines
were ready to run!
Northwest Fireballs got the 2006 contest season going in fine fashion
at East Delta Park, with three days of competition flying. Summer-like weather
blew into town (literally) with temperatures around 70 and winds around
70, too. Well, not really 70 mph but sometimes it seemed like it. Nevertheless,
the contest went off very well, and there were virtually no serious mishaps
(notwithstanding the occasional combat crash). Some of the precision aerobatics
fliers passed on flights because of the conditions on Sunday, saving the
planes for calmer days, but there were enough flights for a good competition,
despite the challenges.
Leo Mehl did a fine job organizing the event in his first outing as contest
director. Event directors were Loren Howard (speed), Jim Holmack (racing),
Gary Harris (combat), Joe Just (carrier) and Scott Riese (stunt).
Scott reported that the already nice Delta Park flying site is due for
some improvements, including a new circle, within the next year or so.
Here are the results as reported by CD Leo Mehl. Northwest standings
points in parentheses.
RECORD RATIO SPEED (6 entries)
1. Ted Gritzmacher, Battle Ground, Wash. (6)
2. Ken Kortness, Spokane, Wash., (5)
3. Rich Salter, Seattle, Wash. (4)
4. No other placings listed
No scores provided
Mike Potter uses this biplane in profile carrier. Jim Cameron photo.
.15 NAVY CARRIER (1 entry)
1. David Miller, Pasco, Wash. (1), 168.75 points
PROFILE NAVY CARRIER (4 entries)
1. Mike Potter, Auburn, Wash. (4), 233.79 points
2. Dick Salter, Tenino, Wash. (3), 194.15
3. Rich Salter, Seattle, Wash. (2), 180.95
4. Logan Just, Roy, Wash. (1), 80.65
Racing action at the Jim Walker Memorial Spring Tune-Up.
Pilots are (from left) Rich Salter, Mike Holmack, Mike Hazel. Jim Cameron
FLYING CLOWN RACE (3 entries)
1. S&S Racing Team, Seattle/Tenino, Wash. (3), 250 laps
2. Nitrohlics Racing Team, Salem/Eugene, Ore. (2) 211
3. David Miller, Pasco,Wash. (1), 78 laps
NORTHWEST SPORT RACE (4 entries)
1. Nitroholics Racing Team (4), 9:08
2. Mike Holmack (3), 9:20
3. S&S Racing Team (2), 9:22
4. Kenny Johansen, Stanwood, Wash. (heat score not provided)
action at the Jim Walker. The event was triple-elimination 80mph combat.
Pilots shown are Rich Salter (left) and Kenny Johansen. Jim Cameron photo.
80MPH COMBAT (5 entries) (triple-elimination)
1. John Thompson, Eugene, Ore. (5), 5-2
2. Rich Salter (4), 5-3
3. Kenny Johansen (3) (coin toss broke tie for second place), 3-3
4. Mark Hansen, Portland, Ore. (2), 0-3
5. Dick Salter, 0-2, pass
OLD-TIME STUNT (4 entries)
1. Scott Riese, Portland, Ore. (4), 298
2. Pat Johnston, Boise, Idaho (3), 250
3. DougWood, Idaho Falls, Idaho (2), 242
4. David Miller, Pasco, Wash. (1), 99
Judges: Don McClave, Dave Royer
CLASSIC STUNT (6 entries)
1. Don McClave, Portland, Ore. (6), 573
2. Pat Johnston (5), 554
3. Scott Riese (4), 551.5
4. Bruce Hunt, Salem, Ore. (3), 539.5
5. Mike Foley, College Place, Wash. (2), 483.5
6. Jim Holmack, Silver Lake, Wash., 397.5
Judges: Dave Royer, John Thompson
BEGINNER PRECISION AEROBATICS (3 entries)
1. Art Zehner, Portland, Ore. (3), 155
2. David Miller (2), 100
3. Richard Entwistle, Portland, Ore. (1), 84
Judges: Scott Riese, Dave Royer
INTERMEDIATE PRECISION AEROBATICS (1 entry)
Did not fly
Leo Mehl's Grinder, one of the precision
aerobatics planes at the Jim Walker. Leo flew it to second place in Advanced.
Always a great looking plane. Jim Cameron photo.
ADVANCED PRECISION AEROBATICS (6 entries)
1. Gary Nelson, Tigard, Ore. (6), 497
2. Leo Mehl, Portland, Ore. (5), 474
3. Mike Foley (4), 463
4. John Thompson (3), 457
5. Jim Holmack, 363
6. Greg Hart (scratched due to wind)
Judges: Dave Royer, Scott Riese
EXPERT PRECISION AEROBATCS (5 entries)
1. Pat Johnston (7.5), 541
2. Bruce Hunt (6), 533
3. Jerry Eichten, Newberg, Ore. (4.5), 451
4. Scott Riese and Don McClave scratched due to wind
Judges: Leo Mehl, Dave Royer
Combat pit action: Left, Dick Salter launching for Rich
Salter. Right, Mike Holmack launches for Kenny Johansen. Jim Cameron
Left: John Thompson launching NW Sport Racer. Right: Don
McClave and the Tucker Special. Jim Cameron photos.
Dick Salter launches the S&S Racing Team NW Sport Racer.
Jim Cameron photo.
Next events upon the Northwest schedule are the Jim Walker 101st birthday
celebration in McMinnville on April 29 and the fun-fly at the Ole Johansen
farm in Sedro-Woolley, Wash., on April 30. See Where
the Action Is for details.
Results of this contest were included in the Northwest
This page was upated June