NORTHWEST FLYING CLOWN RACE
1. PURPOSE: This event is intended for all fliers and pit crews
interested in a simple racing event which uses a common aircraft, emphasizes
both speed and economy, and encourages the use of a wide variety of engines.
2. All AMA control-line unified racing rules apply, except as
2.1. Airplanes and the entire control systems shall undergo a
pull test of 25 pounds. Lines are .015 stranded steel. Length is 52 feet,
plus or minus 6 inches, measured from the center of the handle to the fuselage.
3. Engine: Any design or make of piston engine is allowed, except
that maximum engine displacement is limited to .19 cubic inches. Modifications
are not restricted within the limits of the AMA safety code.
4. Fuel tank: Any design of fuel tank is allowed, including pressure
systems, except as follows:
4.1. Fuel capacity is restricted to 1 ounce, with a +5% tolerance,
4.2. The fuel tank shall be fully external of the plane, on the outboard
side of the fuselage, and entirely in front of the leading edge.
4.3. All tank vents are limited to a maximum size of 1/8-inch outside
diameter. A spring-loaded pinchoff device capping the overflow vent on a
uniflow tank is permitted.
5. Fuel: Glow fuel shall contain a maximum of 10 percent nitromethane
with 20 percent lubricant and the rest methanol. Glow fuel will be supplied
by the contest management. Diesel engines may use diesel fuel.
6. Aircraft: The only aircraft allowed is the PDQ Flying
Clown or faithful replica. Changes to the planform, profile, or wing thickness
are prohibited. Cheek cowls are prohibited. Wheels must be at least 1 inch
in diameter, and be spaced laterally about 7 inches.
7. Prohibited equipment: Hot glove electrical contact systems,
fast-fill setups and fuel shutoffs are prohibited. Shutoffs may be installed
on the plane for test-flying, but must be bypassed during races.
8. Races: All preliminary heats and the final race will be timed
for 15 minutes from start to finish. The contestant with the most laps wins.
Preliminary heats may be 7-1/2 minutes if agreed to by a majority of contestants
or required by contest time constraints. Records shall not be established
for heats less than 15 minutes. There shall be either two or three pilots
in heat races. At least three aircraft shall advance to the feature race.
The decision on the number of feature entries shall be made by the event
director in advance before the start of any preliminary heats. If more than
three planes advance to the feature, races will involve at least two and
no more than three airplanes.
SPORTSMAN FLYING CLOWN RACE
1. PURPOSE: This event is intended to be slower and less difficult than normal Clown Race.
2. RULES: All NW Clown Race rules except:
a. Engines limited to: O.S. 15 FP, O.S. 15 LA, and Brodak 15.
b. Races will be five-minute preliminary heat, and 10-minute final.
Northwest rules are coordinated and sponsored by Flying Lines,
the independent voice of Northwest Control-Line model aviation.
Suggested donation is $5 per year.
2456 Quince St.
Eugene, OR 97404
E-mail for more information
Back to Flying Lines home page
Back to Northwest Rules Page